Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Tender Care That Nothing Be Lost

When I was 17 years old I spent an introductory evening with Allan Hunter, a man in his early 80’s.  He shared two messages that night that changed my life. The first had to do with his description of God as “the Tender Care that nothing be lost.” The second was his introduction of a simple prayer practice, one in which we sat in silence with our hands open and receptive to Tender Presence. Over the next 10 years I studied with this man, learning the foundation of a meditation practice.

Eventually, being offered opportunities to study with teachers within the rich tradition of Zen (Robert Aitken and Joko Beck), I chose a more formal approach to meditation. I followed this remarkable path for almost 30 years, a journey for which I am profoundly grateful.

Now in my 60's, I have returned to the very simple form of daily practice I first learned from Allan Hunter: stillness without knowing, silence within Presence, trusting deeper than thoughts or words.

The Thirsthome website (www.thirsthome.org) and this blog will focus on the simple gifts of a gentle, unforced daily and momentary practice. The  epicenter of practice will be breathing deeper than words, trusting an unseen Tenderness, receiving at a level beyond conscious awareness. 

I look forward to the dialogue that is to follow.

Kent Hoffman


kenthoffman1422@comcast.net

1 comment:

  1. It is this 'trusting an unseen Tenderness' that you reminded me of, Kent, that has made space for the miracle of a daughter's return from a cult. There is a certainty and strength that goes beyond words to reach the grief that goes beyond words. To trust in the Holding of unseen but almost physically felt hands meant I could let go and trust the goodness of a loving presence ( I choose to name God) in my daughter's life. To trust her and the woman she has grown up to be. This was so hard to do day after day, after week, after month after month. Thankfully my wait has ended, but i know of other parents whose wait hasn't, I have no reason for the why's or why not's, merely a deep gratitude for what i have learnt along the way.

    ReplyDelete